We recognize the contributions Japanese Americans have made to the San Diego region by preserving and making available artifacts, photographs, and other information chronicling their history and experiences.
We achieve our Mission by:
- Collecting, cataloging and preserving objects, photographs and documents;
- Creating exhibitions, developing education programs, and participating in community cultural and historical events;
- Publishing Footprints, a quarterly newsletter;
- Reporting on our activities at an annual membership meeting;
- Recognizing significant contributions to the Japanese American community with our annual Kansha Award.
In addition to our preservation and collection activities, JAHSSD regularly provides educational programs and resources to local schools and universities. We present exhibits, public programs and participate in community forums and dialogues. With the annual Kansha Award, JAHSSD recognizes special individuals who have made significant contributions to the Nikkei community. We also publish Footprints, a quarterly newsletter for our Membership, and maintain this website.